Your website’s landing page is often your customer’s first impression of you and your company. Don’t let it scare them away! A well-designed site can definitely appeal to a person, but don’t underestimate the written word.
Check out this amazing infographic that I found at Social Media Today. The article and infographic focus on all aspects of your website landing page, but there are two main things I’d like to point out to you.
- What issues prevent a website from doing what the business owners wants? 41% of the people said lacking content.
- Of the five tips for optimizing your landing page, the first two deal with content! Understanding who you’re talking to and using positive, active language.
Yes, your website needs to be well-designed and user-friendly, but if the content isn’t easy to read, informational, and urging your visitors to action, than you’ve wasted space and time. It’s not enough to be a decent, good, or excellent writer – you need to know how to write content that keeps people clicking on your site. Here are a few tips for you:
- Know Your Audience. If your website caters to experienced, professional physicists, let the big words fly! If, however, you’re trying to explain the benefits of organic fertilizer to average customers, write like you’re talking to someone who knows nothing about the topic (think 5th-8th grade reading level).
- The Hook. Any salesman or writer knows that you need a hook – something to capture your client/reader’s attention. Don’t prattle on and give your life story. Let your landing page be your hook, grabbing visitors’ attention and pulling them in for more.
- Summarize. It’s tempting to put all of your best information out there where everyone can see it, but don’t. Grab someone’s attention, then lead her through your site. Take her from page to page with history about you, your company, and your services/products.
- Tell Them What to Do. Don’t hope your website visitor’s will contact you, give them a reason to! Click here for a FREE, detailed estimate, or sign up now to received our top ten tips for staying warm this winter. Don’t let visitor’s get away – show them what to do next, and give them something for their time.
Keep your visitor’s coming back with great content!